21 September 2008

Sunday Matinee (Sept. 14 - Sept. 20)

Not half the price ... just half the work.

Well, this past week was rather demanding and thus the slowest since I launched Screen Savour. My apologies for that. This coming week I'll have at least three Chaplin reviews. Also, I still haven't seen Burn After Reading, so, again, my apologies for no links to those reviews, all of which I'm sure are very insightful and well written.


But without further ado...

• My head has been so firmly rooted in the films of Alfred Hitchcock this past month that I haven't been paying much attention to new films. Fortunately, Nick at Fataculture has stirred my interest in contemporary cinema with his review of a new Norwegian film, Reprise.

• The Dancing Image reviews two Nicholas Ray films this week, In a Lonely Place and Bigger Than Life. (Loyal readers will recognize Bigger Than Life as an entry on his list of 12 most desired movies unavailable on DVD, so scurry on over and check it out.)

• Evan at MovieZeal re-posts his exuberant review of Speed Racer, just in time for its DVD release. I heartily recommend this review because I find it so pleasurable to read wholehearted defenses of discarded films. (Note: I haven't seen Speed Racer, so I can't speak to the actual film; just the review.)

• Roger Ebert laments that people think "critic" is a four-letter word.

• Programming alert: This week, PBS's American Masters series looks at the 85th anniversary of Warner Bros. Studios in a four-hour documentary dubbed You Must Remember This. Check your local listings, and stay tuned because these public television shows are often available for live streaming after their premiere.

Deadpan begins a look at the heavy-hitting films of Hitchcock next week.

And if you haven't seen them already...

This week on Turner Classic Movies:
The Seventh Seal (1957), Sept 22
Interiors (1978), Sept 22
The Man from Laramie (1955), Sept 23
He Walked By Night (1948), Sept 23
Forbidden Planet (1956), Sept 23
Some Like It Hot (1959), Sept 24
Bringing Up Baby (1938), Sept 27
Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959), Sept 27
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), Sept 27
The Maltese Falcon (1941), Sept 27

7 comments:

ratatouille's archives 21 September, 2008  

Hi! T.S.
Thanks, for a heads-up when it comes to the Warner Bros. "You Must Remember This" documentary and the two "classic" films that are considered film noir(s). ("The Maltese Falcon" and "He Walked By Night.")
blogwatch:
Deadpan (Hitchcock) and The Dancing Image.(N.Ray's In a Lonely Place)
Tks,

ratatouille's archives 21 September, 2008  

Btw, I went to the theatre yesterday and checked out the Coen's film "Burn After Reading," but instead of, commenting on the film under the "Sunday Matinee" post, I decided to wait until you provide review(s) of the film links.
Tks,

Daniel 21 September, 2008  

I wish I could see Reprise again. It was unfortunately overlooked by a lot of people this year, and it shows amazing promise for its director and cast.

Ebert's blog has been great in the few months it's been around. Too bad he didn't have it for so many years!

T.S. 22 September, 2008  

Daniel - I'm excited about Reprise, but of course I'll have to wait until DVD for it. This has probably been my worst year in 12 years as far as current releases are concerned... I simply have not gone to the theater that much (I think 3 times, maybe?) and might only go back a few more before New Year's Eve. It's going to be difficult amassing a Top 10 when I haven't even seen ten.

I know what you mean about Ebert's blog. I particularly enjoy that he seems to have a fresh perspective on issues that have been plaguing film criticism for the last 100 years.

Evan Derrick 22 September, 2008  

Thanks for the Speed Racer shout-out, T.S. The more people that become converted to the Cult of Speed the better. :)

Farzan 23 September, 2008  

Another good Sunday post, I cant believe you still havent seen Burn After Reading. Im very curious to see what you think of it. I already saw it three times and have a written review up on my blog. Cant wait for your next Sunday post

ratatouille's archives 26 September, 2008  

"Programming alert: This week, PBS's American Masters series looks at the 85th anniversary of Warner Bros. Studios in a four-hour documentary dubbed You Must Remember This."
I set a reminder in order to watch the PBS's American Master Series
tomorrow. Because a Canadian friend, watched this documentary earlier this week and said, "This documentary is very interesting and cover the History of films from the 30s Gangsters era, Social Realism and Film Noir at Warner Bros Studio (with very insightful commentary by actor(s) Clint Eastwood, George Clooney and actress Julia Roberts.)
Tks, for a heads-up! T.S.

  © 2008-2010 Screen Savour. Licensed under Creative Commons.

  Template © ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP