14 September 2008

Sunday Matinee (Sept. 7 - Sept. 13)

Not half the price ... just half the work.

There was a lot of talk on movie blogs this week about Burn After Reading, the first film for the Coen Brothers after their Best Screenplay/Director(s)/Picture Oscars. However, having not seen it yet and desperately wanting to, I haven't read any of the reviews so none will be posted in the Sunday Matinee feature this week. Sorry.

So without further ado...

• The Stop Button calls Frank Capra's 1944 comedy Arsenic and Old Lace "one of the finest–if not the finest–film adaptations of a stage production."

• After the Large Hadron Collider was turned on this week, YDKS Movies runs down the best movies about the end of the world.

• And speaking of the apocalypse, Farzan reviews what I think is Steven Spielberg's most troubled great movie of the new millennium, War of the Worlds.

• Tony at Cinema Viewfinder has a review of the special edition DVD release of Cool Hand Luke.

• An excellent assessment of what Rear Window can tell us about living in New York at Self-Styled Siren. (Hat-tip: The Film Doctor)

• I've fallen behind in my schedule to review a few of Buster Keaton's films before Hitchcock Month, but fortunately I've been able to read The Dancing Image for selected Keaton. This past week's installment: The Navigator.

• As part of CageFest at Blog Cabins, Daniel at Getafilm recounts how he found National Treasure and learned to stop hating and love Nicolas Cage as treasure hunter Ben Gates.

• Dean at Filmicability examines Catch-22.

• A few posts this week had the courage to address the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and of particular note: Getafilm has clips of somber reflection and The Dancing Image reviews the Naudet documentary 9/11.

• Film Studies For Free links to a fascinating look at the history of Pan's Labyrinth.

• In honor of The Big Lebowski's tenth anniversary DVD release, Slate examines its prescient neoconservative politics.

• Roger Ebert discusses the presidential candidates' favorite movies.

• Finally, something unrelated to film for a moment. David Foster Wallace was found dead at his home Friday. He was a writer who proved literary writers and essayists could still become celebrities in contemporary America. His style of sprawling digressions and comprehensive footnotes was inimitable, although he had throngs of imitators, most of whom were part of M.F.A. programs years before I enrolled in mine. I'm not sure he still attracted the high intensity fawning in programs and literary circles today that he once did, but I can speak for myself and many of my peers in saying we had great respect for his talent. He was 46.

If You Haven't Seen Them Already...

This week on Turner Classic Movies:
The Red Balloon (1956), Sept 15
The Red Shoes (1948), Sept 15
Force of Evil (1948), Sept 15
The Women (1939), Sept 15
Terms of Endearment (1983), Sept 16
Saboteur (1942), Sept 17
The Lady Vanishes (1938), Sept 17
The President's Analyst (1967), Sept 17
Four Days in November (1964), Sept 18
The Westerner (1940), Sept 20
Anatomy of a Murder (1959), Sept 20
Witness for the Prosecution (1957), Sept 20
Annie Hall (1977), Sept 21

7 comments:

Tony Dayoub 14 September, 2008  

Thanks for the mention regarding the post on "Cool Hand Luke".

I wanted to bring your attention to David Foster Wallace's writings on film. It seems like you might not have been aware of it, but he used to write for Premiere Magazine. His most notable work was a profile on David Lynch. This and other works are discussed in a tribute by a friend of his, former Premiere film critic Glenn Kenny, at his blog Some Came Running:

http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/some_came_running/2008/09/dave-wallace.html

T.S. 14 September, 2008  

Oh yeah, great catch there. I was completely unaware of his work with Premiere, although when you mentioned Lynch I suddenly remembered the essay that ended up later printed in A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. Being a fiction writer by trade myself, I'm more familiar with his short stories and novels. Thanks for the link.

ratatouille's archives 15 September, 2008  

"An excellent assessment of what Rear Window can tell us about living in New York at Self-Styled Siren."
I agree, with you, her article about Hitch's film "Rear Window" was most excellant. That I left a comment on her blog.
Btw, thanks, for reminding me of the 2 upcoming Hitch's films that will air on TCM Sept,17th "Saboteur" and "The Lady Vanishes" (As if I needed reminding! ha!ha!) Because I am one of Hitch's biggest fans!...

Farzan 15 September, 2008  

Great Sunday post as usual, I just posted a review for Burn After Reading. I thought it was great. I was going to post this on Saturday so you can put it on your Sunday Matinee...lol, but I couldnt find the time to.

Fletch 16 September, 2008  

Many thanks for the repeated linkage, and congrats on leading the LAMB leaderboard for (at least) two straight weeks. A major accomplishment! ;)

Daniel 16 September, 2008  

Thanks, T.S. - who knew National Treasure would get so much conversation going!

This is seriously a great weekly feature - I love the Rear Window post.

Joel Bocko 18 September, 2008  

I will have to check some of these out. I've been a bit out of the loop lately, finding time for writing my own blog entries but little time to check out others'. Thanks for the mention.

  © 2008-2010 Screen Savour. Licensed under Creative Commons.

  Template © ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP