14 December 2008

Sunday Matinee (Dec. 8 - Dec. 14)

Not half the price, just half the work.

I plan to get through Alfred Hitchcock's 1950s films by Christmas Eve, and am in the process of planning a long series in the new year looking back on my favorite films of the decade. One minor cosmetic change: on the advice of my sage wife, I'm adding "Continue reading »" expandable post tags to the bottom of my longer reviews. Short entries will not be affected.

So, on with the show...

• There's a must-read review of Milk at From the Front Row.

• The Film Doctor does what I don't have the will to do and takes on the new version of The Day the Earth Stood Still, which he calls an "overbaked Christmas turkey." I love the 1951 version too much to subject myself to a remake, and taking his advice, will continue to avoiding it.

• And speaking of avoiding films, don't miss the Doctor's list of 10 disliked films from 2008.

• Tony at Cinema Viewfinder has a must-read review of Doubt.

• The Stop Button examines Jean Renoir's Grand Illusion.

• Jason at YDKS Movies is really pissed at Stephen King's taste in film. I mean, really pissed.

• The Dancing Image gets inside The Conversation.

• Allan Fish at Wonders in the Dark has been counting down his top fifty films of the 1940s. Today's entry is Notorious, but you should peruse the rest up until now.

• Shawn has new digs. Also, while you're over there, vote in his poll about which film form he should study first in the new year. (I voted for silent comedies. Can I say that?)

• Jim Emerson takes a look at the "If you don't honor The Dark Knight, there will be consequences" crowd. Repeat after me: We do not negotiate with terrorists.

And in case you haven't seen them already...
This week on Turner Classic Movies:

Das Boot (1981), Dec 15
Hamlet (1948), Dec 15
Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Dec 16
Gaslight (1944), Dec 16
The Third Man (1949), Dec 17
The Apartment (1960), Dec 17
The Great Escape (1963), Dec 17
12 Angry Men (1957), Dec 18
Paths of Glory (1957), Dec 19
The Bishop's Wife (1947), Dec 19
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), Dec 20
• The Bells of St. Mary's (1945), Dec 20 (Fun fact of the week: The Bells of St. Mary's is the film showing at the Bedford Falls movie house in Frank Capra's 1946 classic It's a Wonderful Life.)

4 comments:

Daniel 14 December, 2008  

The Emerson piece is fascinating, and I completely agree with it. Populism, as far as film goes, doesn't necessarily point to quality. If that were the case, wouldn't the box-office winners each year be the best movies each year? It's that simple.

ratatouille's archives 15 December, 2008  

What I have checked out!...Allan Fish at Wonders in the Dark counting down his top fifty films of the 1940s.(I even listed my top 25 "Noir Laden" sigh!) films.

Shawn, upgraded blog looks really nice!... also, while I was over there,I did vote in his poll about which film form he should study first in the new year. As usual,I have also "peeked" in at the other blogs too!
I plan to check-out for the first time on the box:
Das Boot
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Umpteenth go round...
Gaslight
The Third Man

dcd ;-)

Dead Pan 18 December, 2008  

Thanks for the shout out and mention of the poll and such. I figured you voted for silent comedies being as you have like 30 reviews up of Chaplin or Keaton films.

Anonymous,  19 December, 2008  

And likewise, T.S., in behalf of Allan Fish and Wonders in the Dark, I would like to thank you for being such a good sport with your mentioning our 40's poll, as you had done with the one we conducted for the 30's. I know you are very busy with so much, not to even mention the navigation of this terrific site, but your own 40's list would be a godsend. But again, we are most appreciative for your flattering call-outs!

Dark City Dame's list was actually quite unique! We loved it.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

  © 2008-2010 Screen Savour. Licensed under Creative Commons.

  Template © ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP