12 January 2009

20 Actors Meme

ac•tor (ăk' ter) » n. A man who acts in a dramatic production.

Tony at Cinema Viewfinder, who kindly tagged me in a 20 Favorite Actresses meme last month, has tagged me in a 20 Favorite Actors meme. (He received his from Dean over at filmicability.) I mentioned last time how it usually takes me forever to complete a meme, if I ever get around to it, but that the actresses came to me easily – so easily, as a matter of fact, that I went ahead and prepared a tentative list for what I knew was coming: men of cinema.

And once again, I suppose convention is slightly my hallmark, as my favorite actors tend to reinforce my film aesthetic (pre-1960 American cinema). Once again, I'll tag my favorite way possible: if you're reading this, you're it. I'll be looking forward to any feedback you have. As a writer who pours himself into his film reviews and labors over every sentence, but who often finds himself without much time at the end of the day, I can't say I'm surprised that blog posts consisting of 90% photos tend to draw the most feedback from readers.

It's all alphabetical, and the images either come from publicity photos or screen-shots.
______













Humphrey Bogart
______













Marlon Brando
______














Charles Chaplin
______














Joseph Cotten
______

















James Dean
______











Clint Eastwood
______












Henry Fonda
______













Ed Harris
______













Anthony Hopkins
______













Jack Lemmon
______














The Marx Brothers
______


















Marcello Mastrioanni
______










Robert Mitchum
______













Bill Murray
______


















Paul Newman
______














Al Pacino
______















Gregory Peck
______












William Powell
______














Robert Redford
______











James Stewart

7 comments:

Tony Dayoub 13 January, 2009  

Nice list. I'm surprised De Niro is absent. I thought he was a fait accompli on everybody's list.

I'll link to you on my site.

Dead Pan 13 January, 2009  

I'm in total agreement. I might change one or two, but even then it would be hard to decide who to go and who to add. I like how it is a mix of classic and contemporary, comedic and dramatic, old and young.

ratatouille's archives 13 January, 2009  

Hi! T.S.,
There goes your "layers"
being revealed again!...
...Great choices, I 'am quite sure some of the actors that you have selected will be included or at "least" will be "honorably" mentioned on my list!...Ahh! Bogie...
Tks,
dcd ;-)

T.S. 13 January, 2009  

@Tony - Thanks for the linkage, man. Re: De Niro... yeah, I don't know what happened there. I really like De Niro, but when I reached twenty, I couldn't give or take any of them. I guess he'd be #21?

@Dead Pan - Thanks. Consider yourself tagged! Maybe you can take a cue from Tony and eliminate the ceiling, do 30 actors, and have a grand time.

@dcd - Ha ha, thanks. I can't wait to read your list.

Farzan 14 January, 2009  

Very good list, but I think its missing De Niro.

Joel Bocko 14 January, 2009  

Good list - and great photo of Stewart & his friend.

I suspect quite a few of these will be on my list too.

Anonymous,  21 January, 2009  

Bill Murray?!?! sigh. The beneficiary of good movies I think, ala Tom Cruise.

  © 2008-2010 Screen Savour. Licensed under Creative Commons.

  Template © ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP