15 February 2009

Sunday Matinee (Feb. 9 - Feb. 15)

Programming Notes: Thanks to the miracle that is the Internet (specifically Hulu), I'll be adding an essay on Alfred Hitchcock Presents to my retrospective of the director, which may be published before my review of Psycho. Due this week: my favorite films of 2008 and Oscar picks and predictions, which lead up to next Sunday when, against my better judgment, I'm going to attempt to live-blog the Oscars.

My reading picks for the week are:

• Now, That's How You Open A Movie, Part 12: Letter from an Unknown Woman.

• Tony at Cinema Viewfinder is contributing to an M.I.A. on Region 1 DVD Tribute series, with new necessary essays: The African Queen and Roman Polanski's Cul-de-Sac.

• Daniel at Getafilm writes of Waltz with Bashir: "Ari Folman has turned the stereotype of the war-traumatized soldier on its head, introducing us to himself in one of the most personal films of the year."

• The Mad Hatter, doubling back on unseen Oscar nominees, looks at The Visitor and Frozen River.

• A triple-play on Coraline:
The Film Doctor
Farzan
Getafilm

• Andrew at The Stop Button reviews John Ford's classic war film, They Were Expendable.

• Although the publish date falls outside this week's window, last week I missed this tremendous essay over at the Bright Lights Film Journal blog, "Deliver Us From Craftsmanship." Now seriously, with a title like that, how can you not to go over and read that right now?

• Andrew Stanton says of all the Oscar nominations Wall•E picked up, "I am prouder to be in writing more than anything else." Amen.

• And finally, the most bizarre and avant-garde YouTube video I've ever seen. Warning: It gets better with multiple viewings.

3 comments:

Farzan 15 February, 2009  

Thanks for the shout out

Ténèbres à la lumière... 15 February, 2009  

Hi! T.S.,
T.S. said,"Thanks to the miracle that is the Internet (specifically Hulu),(Yes! I agree..Tony(D'Ambra), was the first person that I recall mentioning Hulu.) I'll be adding an essay on Alfred Hitchcock Presents to my retrospective of the director, which may be published before my review of Psycho."
"Due this week: my favorite films of 2008 and Oscar picks and predictions, which lead up to next Sunday when,against my better judgment, I'm going to attempt to live-blog the Oscars." hmmm! that sounds very interesting.
Once again! Thanks, for pointing me in the direction of what you are reading this week.


dcd ;-D

Joel Bocko 21 February, 2009  

I didn't know what to expect when I clicked on the You Tube link but I actually just discovered that video yesterday. "Avant-garde" - I like that and it points to something interesting. The cutting is too sharp, the commentary too witty to seem like this is actually what it's supposed to be - just a father and his daughter acting goofy, mostly for the benefits of relatives watching online. Yet, apparently that's all it was intended to be...

Thrilled to hear about the Alfred Hitchcock Presents thing too.

  © 2008-2010 Screen Savour. Licensed under Creative Commons.

  Template © ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP