08 April 2009

Favorite Film Characters Meme

My thanks to The Film Doctor for tagging me in this meme, which is supposed to be my 10 favorite film characters, but, as you can clearly see, I've stretched to encompass a few dozen. I've been working overtime assembling a top-ten list for the year 2000 as part of Film for the Soul's Counting Down The Zeroes series, and this was a welcome change for the evening.

In a way I feel like I should have hewn a narrow line and listed only those characters created specifically for cinema, but that leaves out too many great roles that were brought to life by talented actors and actresses. I tried to list off the names of the characters that came to me immediately and didn't try to over-analyze this too much. Your thoughts are, as always, appreciated; your contributions to the meme, as always, are warranted — consider yourself tagged.

Alphabetical by first name:

Alvy Singer (Woody Allen), Annie Hall
___________

Antoine Doinel (Jean-Pierre Léaud), The 400 Blows
___________

Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck), To Kill a Mockingbird
___________

Bruno Anthony (Robert Walker), Strangers on a Train
___________

Deep Throat (Hal Holbrook), All the President's Men
___________

Clockwise from the left: Capt. Lionel Mandrake (Peter Sellers), Gen. Jack D. Ripper (Sterling Hayden), Dr. Strangelove (Peter Sellers), Gen. Buck Turgidson (George C. Scott), President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers), Dr. Strangelove
___________

Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins), The Silence of the Lambs
___________

Jefferson Smith (James Stewart), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
___________

Juror #8 (Henry Fonda), 12 Angry Men
___________

The Lone Prospector (Charles Chaplin), The Gold Rush
___________

Nick Charles (William Powell), The Thin Man
___________

Phil Connors (Bill Murray), Groundhog Day
___________

Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx), Duck Soup
___________

The Scarecrow (Ray Bolger), The Wizard of Oz
___________

Susan Vance (Katharine Hepburn), Bringing Up Baby
___________

Honorable Mentions: Annie Hall (Diane Keaton), Annie Hall; Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson), Rebecca; Dumbo, Dumbo; Harry Lime (Orson Welles), The Third Man; Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) and Walter Burns (Cary Grant), His Girl Friday; Howard Beale (Peter Finch), Network; Kambei Shimada (Takashi Shimura), Seven Samurai; L.B. Jeffries (James Stewart), Rear Window; Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), Psycho; Stanley Kowalski (Marlon Brando), A Streetcar Named Desire; Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando, Robert DeNiro), The Godfather & The Godfather Part II

8 comments:

The Film Doctor 08 April, 2009  

Thanks, T.S., for accepting the challenge. An excellent list. I find it funny how many favorite characters you found in Dr. Strangelove. I would've chosen Nick Charles if I had thought of him.

Patricia Perry 08 April, 2009  

Great list! Both Alvy Singer and Phil Connors were in the running for my list, although they ultimately didn't make the cut. But, if you're like me, you could come up with a new list of favorite characters about every other day.

Ténèbres à la lumière... 08 April, 2009  

Hi! T.S.,

Bruno Anthony (Robert Walker),from Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train... is an excellant choice!...Jefferson Smith (James Stewart), in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington... I must admit I have to seek this one out...to watch, but Juror #8 (Henry Fonda),in 12 Angry Men is another excellant choice! and then again, so are all your choices.

Ahhh!... Thanks, for sharing!...
Deedee ;-D

Unknown 08 April, 2009  

What a fun meme! You picked some really great ones; I think Atticus Finch, Juror No.8 & Bruno Anthony would be on my list, too!

T.S. 08 April, 2009  

@FilmDr - Ha, thanks. It would be a criminal disservice to recognize just one of those magnificent characters from Dr. Strangelove, so my love goes out to all of them.

@Pat - Thanks! And yes, I heartily agree... today's list would have been different. That's why I vowed to myself I'd come up with it on the spot.

@DCD - Thanks for the kind words. :)

@Kate - Make a list! I'd love to see one.

Sam Juliano,  10 April, 2009  

I just saw DR. STRANGELOVE on Wednesday night at a screen classics series being run for 10 weeks at a local theatre, and I agree wholeheartedly on your decision to include all of them! So many of your choices here are iconic!

Joel Bocko 12 April, 2009  

I just did this too - I see your 15 and raise you a 40! Remarkably, though, no overlaps on the list proper (but I did include 4 of your honorable mentions). Great list, by the way.

Farzan 16 April, 2009  

Good list, but I'm surprised Don Corleone (Marlon Brando) and L.B. Jeffries (James Stewart) isn't on the list, but rather on the Honorable mention. Both characters are great

  © 2008-2010 Screen Savour. Licensed under Creative Commons.

  Template © ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP